Sunday, April 27, 2014

Werfers finished

Just finished these - already pieces are breaking off.  But they won't get onto the table too often so all will be fine.

Thursday, April 24, 2014

Breaking the back of the Werfers

After undercoating the first two I noticed a big gap that needed filling.  This put plans back a bit and while sitting at the desk playing with the filler I spied the third Werfer sitting in it's box and decided to knock it off while I was in the right mindset.

So approx 5 hours (family all out today) of swearing at this plastic mess got me another Werfer and then undercoated and have just spent a hours putting the basecoat on.  I am going to leave the two of them in plain Dunkelgelb and just go with the one camoflaged.

I'll let it all dry overnight and then when I get back from the Dawn Service start with the weathering.

More to come tomorrow.

Werfer building finished

The work on the plastic has finished - I had forgotten how much work it can be doing a plastic kit (that doesn't fit too well).

As a small example, three of the track units went together well once I discovered a good glue - the other too three goes to join with the same glue.

Anyway off to get painted (over the next three days I hope).

Monday, April 21, 2014

Work on Panzerwerfer 42

I have made a start on a pair of Panzerwerfer 42 and an ammunition resupply vehicle for them.  The kits are Rode.

Roden kits and their contents

Assembly has not been as easy as I would have hoped.  I am looking forward to being able to get back to a resin Milicast or metal SHQ or MMS kit after this experience.  Progress has got this far when I tried to join the tracks (which is proving difficult and then put them over the running gear only to discover that the axles and mountings are no where near strong enough.

One Werfer and the resupply vehicle
So, had to cut the bogies off the one that had been made and fashion some mounting blocks from plastic card so that I can use brass rods for the axles to give them extra strength.

Hopefully good progress will not be made......

Sunday, April 20, 2014

Looking for a bag of flock

I am on a bit of a mission to sort out what I have stored in various nooks and crannies around (and under!!) the house.

This afternoon it was the turn of the scenic supplies.  So I found the four boxes that contained materials that I have been collecting for over 20 years and decided to sort them out.

That's about half of an 8 by 5 foot table

I think that Woodland scenics may not have made any foliage product that I do not have.  There is fine turf, course turf, extra course tufy, underbrush, clump foliage etc etc etc.  Also a mere 400 odd trees (to make) for my 6mm stuff and about 200 for the 15/20/28mm scales. Plus all sorts of other wonders.  It really has been a great 2 hours sorting through it.

I threw out a little bit as well - early 80s era chipped sawdust made to look like ballast and earth blend and a few other things that had gone very sticky with the passage of the years.  Think some forms of rubber that have deteriorated as they have aged.

Next is to get a few sheets of card and spread some of each of the colours and different coarseness of foam so I have a reference to select the ones I want for different jobs.