Thursday, April 24, 2014

Werfer building finished

The work on the plastic has finished - I had forgotten how much work it can be doing a plastic kit (that doesn't fit too well).

As a small example, three of the track units went together well once I discovered a good glue - the other too three goes to join with the same glue.

Anyway off to get painted (over the next three days I hope).




Monday, April 21, 2014

Work on Panzerwerfer 42

I have made a start on a pair of Panzerwerfer 42 and an ammunition resupply vehicle for them.  The kits are Rode.

Roden kits and their contents

Assembly has not been as easy as I would have hoped.  I am looking forward to being able to get back to a resin Milicast or metal SHQ or MMS kit after this experience.  Progress has got this far when I tried to join the tracks (which is proving difficult and then put them over the running gear only to discover that the axles and mountings are no where near strong enough.

One Werfer and the resupply vehicle
So, had to cut the bogies off the one that had been made and fashion some mounting blocks from plastic card so that I can use brass rods for the axles to give them extra strength.


Hopefully good progress will not be made......


Sunday, April 20, 2014

Looking for a bag of flock

I am on a bit of a mission to sort out what I have stored in various nooks and crannies around (and under!!) the house.

This afternoon it was the turn of the scenic supplies.  So I found the four boxes that contained materials that I have been collecting for over 20 years and decided to sort them out.

That's about half of an 8 by 5 foot table

I think that Woodland scenics may not have made any foliage product that I do not have.  There is fine turf, course turf, extra course tufy, underbrush, clump foliage etc etc etc.  Also a mere 400 odd trees (to make) for my 6mm stuff and about 200 for the 15/20/28mm scales. Plus all sorts of other wonders.  It really has been a great 2 hours sorting through it.

I threw out a little bit as well - early 80s era chipped sawdust made to look like ballast and earth blend and a few other things that had gone very sticky with the passage of the years.  Think some forms of rubber that have deteriorated as they have aged.

Next is to get a few sheets of card and spread some of each of the colours and different coarseness of foam so I have a reference to select the ones I want for different jobs.


Sunday, March 30, 2014

Recce for 12th SS

To follow the Panther last week, here is most of the recce unit for 12th SS under RapidFire.  Just missing the two motorcycles and crews.

All the vehicles are Milicast.  The infantry are mainly Battlefield with a few AB.

Tried a few camo patterns out.  The oakleaf spring and autumn weren't too difficult, the plantree helmet covers probably still have too much bright green showing.  The peadot was a bugger.  Stripped back twice and pretty happy on the third go.

Depressing thing is I have two battalions of infantry left to paint.









Saturday, March 29, 2014

Belated posts from the Golden Monty

The Goulbourn club put on a great Rapidfire2 weekend in February consisting of 3 games using forces from the Normandy Battlegroups book.

Took a few photos of my forces battling the evil hordes!.

These forces are cobbled together - a bunch of the 12th SS vehicles with basecoats and beginnings of weathering - but nowhere near finished and infantry standing in from my 21 Panzer units.  In any case, they did a good job over the weekend.






Saturday, March 22, 2014

First Panther finished

This has taken me quite some time.  Only one of them finished I am afraid but I am pretty happy with it.  I have ordered two sets of shurtzen for the other two from Dan Taylor.