Pages

Tuesday, February 14, 2023

Rapid Fire 20mm Nijmegan Bridge and Groesbeek Heights

We decided to do a large game at the club last Sunday with six of us playing. It was decided to base it on the new Rapid Fire Market Garden guide and use RFR as a rules set.

As anyone with any knowledge of Market Garden or the movie A Brdge Too Far will know, there is one iconic action that we wargamers want to replay when thinking of Nijmegan - the storm boat assault over the river Waal.  As I was the only one with a set of the old Brittania (now Grubby) boats and US Para crews, I was tasked with being the 82nd Airborne in Nijmegan while John was the Guards Armoured Battlegroup assaulting Nijmegan and supporting my US Paras and Grant was the 82nd Airborne holding the Groesbeek Heights from the Germans advancing out of Germany.  The Germans were played by Warwick, Terry and Bob.

By the time we had set up the table and forces, the game got underway about 10am.  With a good hour for lunch and a few beers at the local pub, we were finished by 3.30pm.  A few photos below - which do focus on my sector as I took them :)    

The river crossing in the forground.
Nijmegan, rail and road bridges through
to the villages at the foot of Groesbeek Heights


A few of my Dutch resin railway buildings 


2/505 advancing to cover the crossing site


75mm pack howitzers providing supporting fire


The arrival of the boats (pontoon trucks standing in) is on 
a randon roll - we rolled well. 


3/504 advancing to meet the boats - no waiting
in this movie


First wave is launched


and targeted by the German artillery and MG fire


One of 4 boats reach the far shore - but they disembark and
take out a dug in German MMG and pass morale


The rail bridge is rushed by elements of the 2nd Household
Cavalry and Stuarts of the Grenadier Guards


... which are targeted by an 88mm


A US Engineer Coy follow over the bridge while the second
wave (2/505) are launched


Gane is up for the Germans as the boats start disembarking
an untouched battalion and the Engineers cross the bridge with 
few casualties

8 comments:

  1. Great looking game, Richard! The photo with the tanks crossing the rail bridge is outstanding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan. I'm sure if I took a little more time with the photos I could crop them down to just the action. I have seen some great sites especially on Facebook who do that very well. But at the moment I am happy to just be putting some content up.
      Richard

      Delete
    2. Your thumbnail showed up in my Blogs Followed widget!

      Delete
    3. Excellent - thanks for the advice

      Delete
  2. A cool game indeed and I really liked the assault boat models - great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot. When I mentioned I was the only one who had the boats - they were unpainted a week ago. I will put a post up in the nexy couple of days with a few shots of doing the water.
      Richard

      Delete
  3. This is very cool! Would love to give this a go one day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John. I have most of what is needed for the Allies ready. But little for the Germans - one day they will be done and when it's ready you'll be the first I call :)
      Richard

      Delete